Tuesday 14 January 2014

Star Trek hack: Boldly going where several people have gone before

Do you ever throw yourself into something and then, it's only halfway through that you think 'I wonder if someone else has done anything like this?'

That was the position I found myself in when asked to come up with a hack for a Star Trek (pre-Enterprise era) game by my friend Simon (you can see my two previous posts in this blog for details), I fell prey to my usual downfall of leaping straight in and starting to look at the mechanics rather than stopping to consider my options; this is something of a normal response for me and is something i'm working on. However, at least this time I had the good sense to stop and look around before I got too entrenched.

As I was wading through hacking Diaspora's skill list and working out whether or not Professions (as per the Fate Toolkit were the best way to go) I flicked through Jacob Poss' big list of Fate related links (viewable here http://walkninginshadows.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/fate-core-important-links.html) and did a simple search for the term 'trek'; I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me that there were a number of results (given Star Trek's popularity).

One in particular caught my eye, an adaption by Aaron M. Sturgill (available here http://trailofdice.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/2/1/6921148/star_trek_fate.pdf) which seemed to do everything that we needed for a game but had a light enough touch that it could be expanded and adapted to the pre-Enterprise era of the game; it also seemed to use a modified and simplified version of the Diaspora rules (which was the track i'd been taking). I think it will be ideal for the game that we are doing, and many thanks to Mr Sturgill for making his work on the subject available :)

I suppose the lesson that I should take from all of this is that, despite trying to rain in my instincts to tinker with mechanics, I still have a way to go and that, certainly for Fate, there is an awful lot of very good material available (free of charge out that) that can be tweaking or used for your own games without having to start off completely from scratch.



No comments :

Post a Comment